Saturday, January 15, 2005

 

Doctors and Patience...

...has moved to Essaying the Situation. I've kept the first couple of paragraphs here as a normal post but have decided to make a few edits to the essay and put it where it belongs. It should be up (and the revised link to it on the right should be operative) in an hour or so from the time of this post.

Originally Published January 12, 2005 - 2306:
    She's still bleeding a bit from her urinary tract but the amount appears to be lessening. I gave her a second third of an Augmentin pill tonight to work on her while she's sleeping. I'm hoping that the bleeding will be cleared within 24 hours of our discovery of her urinary tract infection. At that point I'll put her on the maintenance dose of one third pill a day for 10 days. That should do the trick.
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder if cutting back on her fluids may have created optimum conditions for the development of a urinary tract infection that might have otherwise been handled by the body's natural processes. I couldn't not control for the possibility of low sodium, knowing what I know about how it affects her, but I thought I was staying within an area of acceptability by negotiating 1/3 cut back on fluids. It's hard to know, really, what I may have done right and wrong. I feel better having witnessed doctors making pretty much the same mistakes I do.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?