Tuesday, January 11, 2005

 

A final day, I think, for wrestitution, or...

...for my mother, restitution. When I checked in on her just before 1100 this morning I had a peculiar (good) feeling and decided to take a chance on awakening her. When she saw the gentle, steady rain, the house ablaze with light, smelled the bacon and felt the warmth her first complete sentence was, "What a cozy day!" I knew she'd pinpoint exactly the right ambiance. Typically my mother is not amused by precipitous days, she considers them akin to prison even though she rarely gets out during sunny days right now. But today I guess she was in the mood for cozy and the day is coming through for her.
    After her bath I made a spur of the moment decision that breakfast toast would be replaced with one of the Christmas dessert muffins with which MCFs gifted us. To hell with blood sugar. I previewed the last of the movies I rented, A Price above Rubies to make sure it was something Mom might enjoy. It was a hunch rent, based on RenĂ©e Zellweger, who seems never to fail even if the script she's acting is a little loose (and this one was); and the cover blurb mentioning that the story takes place in the Hasidic jewelry district. There was some provocative talk about God, one of my mother's favorite subjects, which spurred conversation between us. She was, as always, fascinated with the glimpses into an unfamiliar community. Her attention didn't waver through the movie and she became irritated with me when I stopped it once to go to the bathroom. She was especially intrigued with the mention of the female aspect of God, remembering it after for continued conversation. I don't think it's a movie we'll purchase but one for me to remember to rent again on days such as today.
    She's napping, now. As she settled into bed she requested something, "stewy and good" for dinner, so I think we'll have one of my specialties, Beef Strogansauer. Maybe chicken curry soup for lunch if she's up for it. I expect her blood sugar to run riot today but I'm not going to worry about it, although I'm curious enough to take stats and see what it does.
    I had planned on getting her on the phone today to grant me permission to discuss and settle a particular medical bill in which the biller used the wrong address when filing for TriCare and was thus denied, but she waved it away: "We can do that tomorrow."
    I suggested that time was running away with us on this bill, which is only partly true; mainly, I wanted to get it off my plate. She said, "They can wait." So, everyone will wait while my mother cozies into life and enjoys the last rainy day we'll have for awhile. That's fine with me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?