Sunday, January 30, 2005

 

The sun is melting the snow off branches so quickly...

...that it sounds, through windows open and shut, as though we're having a spring shower. I think this put Mom in mind of an early nap after watching a few episodes of the second season of Kung Fu. In case you're wondering whose idea it was to purchase that series, it was mine. Mom is enjoying it, too. The second season appeared at Costco really cheap so, I thought, okay, more bedtime stories for Mom.
    The funny thing is, it is reminding me so much of the series Gunsmoke, on of Mom's favorites, which had some dynamite TV literature stuff, that, if that series ever shows up I'll probably go for it.
    I don't know if Mom watched Kung Fu much prior to this, although I know she watched it some because when I moved back to Mesa from Seattle in 1994 I was hooked on it. I'm sorry that we haven't got the first season but I'll be keeping my eye out for it. We just watched an episode with Jack Elam, a classic master playing in a classic episode. I'm looking forward to episodes I barely recall with Anthony Zerbe and that blonde, you know the one, did lots of TV character acting in the 70's and 80's, very unique look to her, she played Caine's brother's wife, I think they were married, anyway, who had Danny Caine's only son. Her character finally died of a snake bite in a two parter, as I recall. The actor who played Danny Caine's son also played the young James Woods character in Once Upon a Time In America, another one of my all time favorite movies. I wonder what ever happened to him. He had a very striking look. For those of you for whom this will mean something, think Danny Vanderpool. Blood orange skin, auburn hair, rich brown eyes. Somewhat more intense presence than Danny Vanderpool, though.
    Watching those episodes now is provocative. For some reason, I remember Kung Fu as being violent, and it's not, from today's standards. In four episodes only 3 people have died, one accidentally, one death has been alluded to [for series fans, it's The Death of the Prince at Caine's hands]. The fight scenes are few and far between and almost no one gets killed. It is a treat to the spirit to watch Caine kicking away all manner of weaponry; being offered a machete before a fight and doing more than refusing it, disdaining it.
    Anyway, both my mother and I, for different reasons, mine having to do with memory, hers not, are enjoying these episodes.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?