Thursday, February 17, 2005

 

I intended to stop by and check in, yesterday,

but despite the two short naps it was a busy, engaging day. We still haven't taken down the Christmas tree, although it was mentioned twice yesterday. I headed that way during her first nap but something waylaid me. Anyway, I don't remember much of what we did although Mom was up a lot. I guess we watched at least one movie, maybe two. I remember watching something on TV in the evening on one of the educational channels that she and I were both interested in and discussed as it was rolling but don't remember what it was. I also remember that by the time Mom decided to retire around 2330 I was ready for bed, too, and decided, out loud, to leave all end of the day chores until this morning. After readying Mom for bed I don't think I even peed before I stripped, snugged down and slept.
    We were going to do some baking, too, something with berries, probably muffins or maybe lemon berry bread. We never found time.
    Good day, even though the specifics weren't memorable. I do remember she moved a lot yesterday, walking around the house, throwing Kleenex in the trash, moving her magazines and crossword puzzle books back and forth. I was very pleased to see this and tried to:
  1. Stay out of her way;
  2. Follow her at a distance, and;
  3. Not discourage her or jump in to do something she wanted to do.
There was only one stunt I stopped her from doing and took over: She decided, after lunch, to pile her hands and arms up with dishes (before standing, I might add) and take them to the kitchen sink, up two steps and across two differing floor surfaces. "Nope, nope, nope," I said. "You can follow me into the kitchen if you want the exercise but I'm doing the busing," I said. She didn't argue.
    Later we watched the weather channel for awhile. Suddenly, during one of the local broadcasts, my mother gave me a sly glance and says, "Who do they read the forecast out loud for?"
    I autonomically responded, "Those who are blind and watching TV." Before I'd finished the sentence I'd burst into laughter, taking her point.
    After we settled down we discussed that, now-a-days (versus the days when TVs were few and far between) there are probably a lot of the blind 'watching TV', in part because they live within TV saturated families and in part because TV is only partially a visual experience.

    I took off early this morning to purchase a humidifier filter at Target. I noticed, once I exited the driveway, that I am much calmer about leaving Mom alone than I am when I'm around her in the house. It's very hard to tear myself away but, once torn, I know she's fine and I often extend my trips a bit without worry. Reviewing this while I was driving, I decided to take a lesson from it. I think, though, considering how much better she seems to feel, that she'll be getting out and about, slowly but surely, soon.
    Damn, this woman never fails to amaze me!

    Either a storm is approaching or it's here, I'm not sure which. It's had a long, low front which has kept our weather unusually warm for this time of year. I'm going to have to claw the herbicide into our ground soon. Probably after this storm passes. No rain yet but we had rain day before last when it was supposed to be sunny and windy. It's very cloudy. I'm sure Mom's feeling it.
    Sounds like she's up. Yep. Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?