Saturday, February 19, 2005

 

I seem not to have been checking in during the late evening hours...

...recently. All I can tell you is that although I've been staying up past Mom's retirement (for the most part; a few nights ago I went to bed close on her heels), I've been past the winding down point of writing or write-thinking. The evenings have been satisfying for me. I've been sitting back and savoring them after my mother retires, much like a gentle person might lounge in their library and savor a snifter of Cognac. I've also been retiring significantly earlier than normal.
    One of the places I rent and rent-to-own DVDs, here, is a local independent video store that does a brisk trade with its customers. Many of the videos I've acquired lately come from that store. It is also a gold mine for finding obscure and old movies (many of which are not on rent-to-own status, only rentals). Last night, because I'd been reminded of it by entering Mona Lisa Smile at the movie site, when I returned some videos I decided to rto some of the school movies I'd mentioned. The only one I could find was The Paper Chase. I didn't realize it was 32 years old. I can't remember if I saw it on Guam or here in the states. It was released the year we moved to the states, halfway through the year. I know I saw it when it was released. I remember that John Houseman's performance was especially appreciated in the media. Mom and I both really enjoyed watching it. I didn't expect her to remember it, so didn't introduce it as a formerly familiar movie. She recognized it anyway within the first few frames. "Haven't we seen this before?" she asked.
    Once again, as with all movies and TV made prior to, oh, I'd say, probably the early to mid 80's, maybe a little later, maybe into the 90's, music was minimal, sound effects were sharp and the sound production of conversation and voices in general was so clear that we both commented, at one point, that we weren't reading the subtitles. With many current movies (within the last 5 years), I've thought I was developing a hearing problem; but, I'm not. For some reason, the current sound fashion is garbling. Weird. If you get a chance rent the movie, if for no other reason than the stunning opening. You'll see what I mean when you watch it. I had completely forgotten about how it opens and was delighted as though I'd not before viewed it.
    The cranberry almond bread is wonderful. We "tested" half slices two ways immediately: Without anything and with a spur of the moment, stroke of genius spread I invented that is a dried cranberry, orange extract, butter, honey puree. I will publish both recipes over at the food site eventually.
    I have to go to Costco, today. Mom is eating more eggs and we're running out by surprise. It wouldn't hurt, as well, to pick up an extra box of large paper underwear. Shit. I'm sitting here watching the weathercast and it's gonna be raining. Which I love, except that my beleaguered windshield wipers began to shred yesterday. I guess I'd better pick some up and install them. But, I'll have to drive, first.
    I feel like taking a leisurely shower this morning. And, I have the time.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?