Monday, February 14, 2005

 

I took some diphenhydramine...

...in the form of OTC sleeping pills - one 25 mg pill; probably about 4 years old. I couldn't find the original packet. It worked. I was having such trouble with sneezing and coughing and thought if I could divest myself of these I wouldn't be swallowing my own spit so much and my sore throat would be a little easier to bear. I expected to be taking a nap at this time because dyphenhydramine always makes me sleepy. The coughing and sneezing and runny nose went away, thank god, although the sore throat did not. I am feeling very draggy but it's sort of pleasant. I got all my chores done in a daze while Mom read the lastest issue of Oprah at the kitchen table. We discovered, too, that apparently there is no longer a Cold Stone Creamery in this area. The closest one, apparently, is now Sedona. It looks as though this franchise bit the dust after moving from the Minor Old Mall to the Major New Mall, just after Baskin Robbins opened a location in Prescott Valley. I guess this area is a Baskin Robbins area. Too bad. So that took care of the Valentine's Cake. Damn, and I was beginning to savor the idea of Cinnamon Red Hot ice cream melting down my throat!
    Mom seems to be observantly sympathetic to the way I feel, today. I'm amazed; I must look like shit.
    Maybe we'll do movies, later. I found an old blueberry muffin mix in the cupboard, Krusteauz, so it's probably not too offensive. MFS bought it when she was here last, in 2002, I think. I vaguely recall something cautionary in the news about blueberries in blueberry muffin mixes but I'll probably toss theirs and use some of the raspberry/marionberry/blueberry frozen mix in the muffins...maybe dredge the moist berries in light sugar before dumping them in the mix. Add some extra vanilla, make corrections for altitude...maybe Mom and I will snack out on berry mix muffins tonight if I can get myself moving again.
    Something a little scary that I'm noticing...what I tend to think of as arthritis in my knees, feet, and probably in my hands, has eased considerably since I took that sleeping pill and so has the occasional aching down the side of my left leg. I suppose diphenhydramine is something of an analgesic but it's like I don't have what I was calling "arthritis" and the side-of-the-leg-thing that doesn't have a name, anymore. That's a little strange. We'll see what happens when I stop taking the pills and let them wear off. By this time in the day I'd be normally be considering taking a 600 mg dose of ibuprofen. I frequently take some kind of a dose of ibuprofen at night before I retire. I doubt that I'll be doing that this evening because I'm sure I'll be on dyphenhydramine all day.
    I've decided to track Mom's "least predictable (the VHP's designation) blood sugar reading, which is the lunch reading. It is, I am partly sure, unpredictable because the more Mom sleeps, the more likely that the outside range of breakfast and dinner is often 7 hours, sometimes just over 6, which is barely adequate for her medication to optimally work. She's not moving all that much either, as she was before. So, her middle of the day reading is always likely to be unlikely. We've tracked her evening readings, which can be blippy, for a couple of weeks and those look stable. Now, time to see if observation will give me some ideas on how to work to lower her midday blood sugar. I started today. I just served her lunch and took stats. The results will be posted over at Mom's Daily Tests and Meds shortly.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?