Monday, February 21, 2005

 

Movies and sweet rolls. All day yesterday.

    My mother was in heaven yesterday. This is how it started. I made a deal with her yesterday morning just before I headed to Costco. I awoke her and told her that if she did me a big favor and slept in (she loves doing these kinds of favors) until I returned, I'd have a surprise for her for breakfast. There is a bakery here whose "fruits" I've been wanting to try. They specialize in whole grain breads, including whole grain sweet rolls (not muffins, although they also have muffins). Of course, to a diabetic a sweet roll is a sweet roll is a rose regardless of how many whole grains it contains...but my reasoning sounds good.
    When I returned home a little after noon she was just arising and asking to examine the sweet rolls.
    It wasn't until later in the day after the first movie [The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie] that we began thinking about lunch and my mother said, "We've got all those sweet rolls, why not have those for lunch?"
    Another movie [Antonia's Line] and a nap later: "We've got all those sweet rolls, why not finish them off for dinner?" In case you're wondering, I only bought six sweet rolls. They were huge. At dinner I suggested that we might want a little something nutritious before making a final pillage on the rolls. My mother's response? "Why ruin a perfectly good sweet roll with something nutritious?" Since she's very well nourished almost all the time, I didn't have a good answer so we polished off the sweet rolls with The Motorcycle Diaries.
    No stats yesterday and no reporting of stats at the stat site although when I'm done here I'll post a general entry there about no-stats and meds and food.
    We also had what I hope is an eye-opening (for me more than for my mother) discussion about when using a knee bracing bandage is appropriate. My mother's knees were bothering her mightily toward evening. I'd been noticing her increasing debilitation all day (she was up and down a lot yesterday, which is good for her) and asking her, probably to distraction, if she wanted to use the knee brace on her right knee, the weakest one. Query after query she refused. Finally, before "dinner" when her hobbling became obvious I not only insisted that she wear it, I put it on her knee while she was at my mercy on the toilet seat. Suddenly she was walking almost normally. She was surprised.
    "Well, Mom," I explained, the thing with the bandage is, it's not medicine, it's simply external support. It's kind of like wearing a belt to keep your pants up so you don't have to think about them."
    She got it. I think she was confusing the wearing of the support with medical treatment and medical treatment is something she prefers to avoid since it often misses the mark with her. "Oh!" she said. "That's a good way to look at it! Remind me of that when necessary."
    I will.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?