Saturday, February 12, 2005

 

So, there's an interesting discussion of...

...pancakes over at Today's Breakfast Stats. Those of you who know and love my mother will enjoy it.
    Although yesterday may have been the first time I recorded it, I believe it's been two days, now, that I've given her two Niferex-150's, one in the morning and one at night. I hadn't wanted to do that before, even though our 87 year old former yardman thrives on this daily dose and has for a couple of years. It seemed to me that I should try to get away with as little supplemental iron as possible. I knew that, in addition to Niferex-150 once in the morning, only one 18 mg Iron Protein Succinylate tablet at lunch and dinner didn't do the trick, kept her at around Hemoglobin 9, which the doctors considered okay since it was "stable", but I do not. So, at 36 mg Iron Protein Succinylate twice a day she's stayed around Hemoglobin 10 and 11 (low 11), which is good. But, this morning, after only two days of two Niferex-150 capsules a day, she seemed strikingly more ruddy all over rather than patchy, stood straighter although is still physically weak and seemed more alert. Of course, I have to take into consideration that the 500 mg Levaquin/day also seems to be knocking out her UTI. Her urine is clearing up nicely despite the number of times I clean the toilet.
    So, I think I've decided, Niferex-150 twice a day, cut out the other iron for awhile, see how she does on this regimen (especially how it affects her bowels). Stop and keep her off the DetrolLA, too. She and I have both noticed that after having been off it for four days she's actually holding her bladder better during the day. It may have been interferring with her UTI and the antibiotics. Otherwise, things will remain the same.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?