Monday, March 28, 2005

 

For some reason, I can't seem to get into Blogger...

...through my Tests & Meds identity, even though I want to make a post before I forget it. So, I'll post a reminder here: Bowel Movement happened, hmmm, today's the 28th, isn't it, of March, that is, somewhere early 21st century, stardate...oops, wrong show. Okay, it was Saturday; very small volume, one short fat turd eliminated so easily during bathing she thought she'd only farted (although she would never call farting "farting"). That was probably about 1030 the morning of the 26th.
    I've been away for a bit, I think. I actually came in here, let's see...on the 24th and started a post, got a little carried away and something interrupted before I finished. Finished going through all boxes (including in the shed) on Friday, the 25th, in the early morning and got all our tax proofs off to Mom's CPA in Phoenix a week earlier than last year.
    My anxiety over filing taxes this year has been a result of me having to, yet again this year, pay estimated taxes late, although all money's due were remitted before the end of the estimated tax filing year, which ends January 15 or thereabouts (depending on where weekends fall) of the year following the year on which you are estimated payments. I noticed when we were late on a couple of payments the year before nothing was "said", so to (not) speak, by the Feds. The state had already consigned estimated payments to "voluntary" status. This year, I noticed, the forms for estimated payments to the Feds are clearly marked ES/V which seems to indicate to me that the Feds have been unofficially lenient with us beleaguered median income tax payers and is now officializing their lenience. Hallelujah, if I'm right.
    Anyway, with the mobile home in Mesa gone I see no problem in years upcoming regarding making estimated payments on time. I've actually been surprised, over the years I've been with my mother, that she has never been audited, but she and I have been and are meticulous to a fault about documenting tax records and returns. I have a "gift" for math and have been good at manipulating finances throughout the year, up to a few years ago, so that I knew when we could skip estimated payments without fear of penalty, as, for a few years after the stock market crash our income went steadily down. When it leveled off, though, we still had that fucking mobile home in Mesa. I've been surprised how much monthly income it was draining even when we didn't live in it. I was figuring $500/month. It works out to more like $600/month. Amazing.
    As far as taxes are concerned, we sold the property at a loss. It is, though, unfortunately, not considered real estate by Arizona as we didn't own the land, and, as well, it was represented as our secondary home so we could deduct the taxes on this property from our final income tax liability. So, we may be fucked there, but the "sold at a loss" part might be in our favor. I don't know.
    I'm feeling even more mellow than I thought I would since the tax documenting process is done. I'm still pissed at my acquaintance who faulted on me at the beginning of March, but I managed.
    I've been tardy reporting here. Either I haven't found the time or decided to spend that time doing something else. Saturday, all day, a 12 hour day for me and 10 hours for Mr. Everything, our yard was revealed beneath the overgrowth and yard trash. Discovered that our water table is about 1.5 feet below ground. Shit! Every square inch of our small, startling piece of land is lush, either in growth or soil. My compost pile has gone insane. Some of the dead trees I'd figured I'd eventually need to eliminate are officially "dead down", so they can be cleared and harvested for our fireplace. I can see how to open up our feral (it cannot be said, anymore to be truly wild) section to access through minimal, critical grooming and have begun some. Most of our elm overgrowth is gone. Yard trash almost completely gone, including metals, blocks of concrete [what was the former owner thinking!?!]. Bizarre, random poles, concreted into the ground half removed. Trees almost completely trimmed. A kindling pile established. A tall tool shed established. Plenty of downed elm saplings for a home made bench. Plenty of brick for a low outdoor grill, although we may establish that in front. Rotting timbers gone. Construction trash gone. Massive collection of exploded cardboard boxes gone. Old fans gone. Word spread about soft water system for sale. Cheap. Word out about refrigerator, repairable, for free. I'm banking that those items will disappear soon. Commitment for estimate on carport ceiling work.
    I'm beginning to feel the lure of spring. I didn't think I'd been all that cold this winter but apparently I needed to thaw a bit, too, the upper crust, anyway.
    For some reason I am personally stunned by the continued Matriarchal Turbulence along the fault off Sumatra and the possibility of it continuing. 50% chance of another tsunami. I witnessed a minor tsunami from FAA cliff, above FAA beach, intentionally, one afternoon. FAA beach was actually a small cove carved out of lava. Water level usually produced several pools, some very deep and tunneled so you could immerse yourself, if you were willing to risk the possibility of an undertow from the tunnel. I remember waiting with two others, one of who I remember, the other may have been Junior...I'm hazy on that. Anyway, as we balanced ourselves on the highest lava ledge we watched the ocean (which is only partially protected by a very close, broken reef) demarcating a sudden continental drift, the ocean recede and drop maybe a couple of feet down the part of the drift that was visible. We were stunned, then energized by fear and we scrambled up the cliff. Funny thing about living on Guam, which perches on the edge of the Marianas Trench. Us locals never worried much about The Big One because everyone figured, on that small an island with one elevated "mountain" at 1325 feet, instant, unavoidable death for everyone would be the result. Locals live with the reality of periodic razing by a typhoon. Factoring for periodic devastation is automatic.
    Anyway, I'm wandering. It's good to be back. I'm calm. And well and shortly visited. I'll probably be reporting in more frequently from now on.
    Oh yeah. Mom is good. In excellent humor today, although our company performed a short, intense visit so Mom's nap has convinced her that they were here yesterday. Good appetite. Moving around even a little more, although having problems with allergies. Everyone is, including the cat. Except, thank the gods, me. I remain energetic and increasingly excited.
    More...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?