Friday, June 17, 2005

 

Today I faxed...

...the following list of concerns for discussion to Mom's PCP. Although it is similar to the previous list, I'm including the refinement here for, hmmm...well...in case someone reading this can use it as a template:

ATTN: Wondrous FNP - Name of Medical Corporation
FAX: Their Fax Number
FROM: Me, by name, daughter, caretaker, DPOA, MPOA HCPOA
RE: Mom, by name - Patient
SS#
Upcoming Appt. 6/21/05 @ 1:00 p.m.

To expedite our appointment I compiled the following list of issues I’d like to cover during that time:
  1. Renewal and/or new writings of the following prescriptions through at least November: (I’ll be bringing the bottles with me):
    • Glipizide ER 10 mg twice per day Qty 120 - no change;
    • Protonix 40 mg once per day Qty 90 - probably no change (see #2 below);
    • Lisinopril 2.5 mg twice per day Qty 100 (should probably be changed to 3 per day; see #3, below);
    • Levaquin: Currently written for 250 mg once per day for 10 days Qty 14, to be filled as needed, written for four refills; as it turned out, 500 mg once per day for 7 days, which was possible considering how the prescription was written, works much better so, if possible, I’d like to change this Rx to the following: Levaquin 500 mg once per day for 7 days Qty 7, as needed, for four refills;
    • Continued okay for monthly CBC, BMP and urinalysis, drawn here in Prescott, with results faxed to you and picked up at the lab by me;
    • Addition of an order to the Rx immediately above for an inclusion of Hemoglobin A1c, CMP (instead of BMP), Lipid Profile, an Iron & TIBC and Ferritin tests during her November draw (see item #8 below);
    • A prescription for very short term, specific Out Patient therapy to help her learn how to use her walker better (see item #9 below);
    • Continued approval of diabetic testing supplies through Liberty Medical as needed.
  2. Currently my mother is taking 81 mg aspirin once per day in the morning. Considering her slight mini-stroke history should she be on a higher dose of aspirin? If so, will her Protonix Rx help head off possible stomach problems at the pass?
  3. I’m thinking that, in order to ameliorate her high systolic blood pressures in the morning her Lisinopril Rx should be rewritten for three 2.5 mg pills per day, one in the morning and two at night. Considering that her diastolic is always very low I’m reluctant to push the dose any higher at this time.
  4. I agree, from your description at our appt. on 1/24/05, that she suffers from Chronic Renal Failure. I’d like a very clear explanation of exactly what the indicators are for this diagnosis so that I remain well informed and have a better fix on where she is in the process, since I’m not sure we’re that close, yet, to her diabetes “going on vacation”, but her long standing, prodigious sleep habits continue to concern me.
  5. The advisability of a routine re-ultrasound of her torso as a marker for her minor mitral valve leakage and any arterial abnormalities. Since she seems to be doing fine within her limits I thought this could be scheduled for November, when, if all continues well, we’ll be scheduling her next regular appointment.
  6. Anything new on the bladder control front, short of surgery, that we might try on her; this isn’t an urgent concern...just thought I’d check.
  7. Any OTC supplements we should add or subtract from her daily regimen?
  8. Discuss my concern about her iron supplementation: I’m aware that it can play havoc with colonic elimination, although we haven't had this problem, and that metals are metabolized by the liver at what can be an expense to this organ's healthy functioning; despite the high level of antioxidants with which I supplement her (including those in food) would a CMP, a Hemoglobin A1c, and a few miscellaneous iron readings be a good idea for her monthly blood/urine draw in November?
  9. We are having the usual trouble with her renewed walker usage. She refuses to believe or follow my recommendations for walking technique that would relieve her of back aches from usage. We have reinstituted her therapy exercises (I’ll provide you with a copy at our appointment) to promote upper and lower body strength and flexibility but I can see that her back aches are mostly related to her technique and she won’t listen to her daughter, of course. Would it be possible to obtain an Rx for very short term corrective therapy for this problem? I think I know a therapist here who might be willing to do this. I hope to have contacted her to confirm this by the time of my mother’s appointment next Tuesday.
Attached is an updated list of her med/supplement regimen although I think there are only two changes: 2 Cholest-Off/day and one cup De-tox tea per day (I’ll bring in the ingredients). I’ll bring in her BP & BG readings for the last month, including 3 per day for the last week (no changes since previous readings); her blood/urine draw will take place tomorrow. You (and I) should have all results by the end of the business day Monday.
I look forward to our appointment. If there’s anything else you want me to bring (besides my mother and the stuff listed above), please feel free to contact me at:
Me
PHONE: Our phone number
Email: My email address

    I just noticed that I misnumbered the items on the original faxed list. Since I'm allowing HTML to number them here, they'll come out correctly.
    When I called this morning to get a 7 pill extension for Mom's lisinopril through the day after her appointment when we'll be able to have the new prescription filled I discovered that our Wondrous FNP will be out, that day, and a new doctor to the clinic will be seeing my mother. Should be fun, as those of you who read this fairly regularly know that I always have an interesting time with new medical personnel who aren't used to me, especially new doctors.
    Something curious happened, as well. As you may remember, we've had this appointment for almost a month. When I originally made the appointment I was aware that we'd be running out of Mom's lisinopril a few days before her appointment and let the clinic know that I'd be calling for a short extension of the exhausted Rx. This wasn't a problem, the person to whom I spoke either remembered what I was talking about or read it in Mom's file (part of which is computerized) and told me there'd be no problem with that, just have the pharmacy fax the request and the office would fax an okay back. When I picked up the prescription, to my surprise, whomever had faxed the okay back (which, as it turns out, was for 14 pills instead of 7) also alerted the pharmacist to tell me that "the doctor requests that [my mother] call the office to make an appointment". Whoops! Somebody fouled! I'm hoping it was simply office mishmash getting in the way of efficiency and not an indication of what we can expect from the new doctor.
    At any rate, I'll be faxing, tomorrow, the regular blood draw review, which is much abbreviated from last month's. I'll also publish that here. As well, at the bottom of the review, I'm going to include the names and addresses of four of the web sites I keep on my mother, the ones in which a medical professional might be interested (then again, might not be, since most of the information on these web sites that would be of interest to medical professionals exists in her record, courtesy, in large part, of me).
    I also published the updated medication and supplement review over at the Tests and Meds site; the one I faxed to the PCP today. Good idea to keep up on that stuff here.
    So, no moving today. Although Mom was up a lot she complained of her knee bothering her, shuffled quite a bit more than usual, and complained, as well, of an occasional cramp in her right side. I figured I'd better let her relax. This evening we decided to watch movies. I wasn't able to get two that we both really wanted to see, In Good Company and Beyond the Sea but got four others. Of those, we tried to watch Aviator but neither of us found it very interesting and both found the portrayal of Katherine Hepburn, to which we'd both been looking forward, laughable. Hepburn may have had an exaggerated persona, but it was her. The portrayal we decided, was, unfortunately, simply exaggerated Hepburn. So, we stopped that movie early on and went on to Kinsey. Before I started it I told Mom what it was about. I don't know if she was ever aware of Kinsey's research. She expressed some doubts about whether she'd be able to "stay with it", considering the subject matter, but she became much more involved in it than I expected. She didn't last 'till the end, but she cut out so close to the end that, as she said, she "knew where it was going", and went to bed.
    Other than the blood draw after Mom awakens and bathes, I'm not sure what's happening tomorrow. It'll depend on her body's recovery from so much movement this week. I need to make a trip to Costco. I'm not sure why, but for some reason it seems we've gone through an awful lot of paper underwear this week. Could have something to do with all the exercising and walkering, which may have caused more than the usual amount of pressure on her bladder, thus more leakage.
    The oxygen concentrator was changed out today and both Mom and I noticed that this model is significantly quieter than the last, so when this one comes up for it's 9 month back-to-the-shop check-up I'm going to request the same model. It's lighter, too, so I can move it into the living room easily for Mom's naps on those really hot days. We don't have many, but when we have them the combined heat from the outside and the concentrator makes it hard for her to nap comfortably.
    Day by day, this week, I've been trying to find some time to get my hair cut before going down to the Valley next week. I found a barber who only takes walk-ins and whose work I like but, each day, when I plan to be one of her customers, something comes up and I have to put it off. Maybe I'll just remain disheveled, or, maybe, once again, I'll butcher my hair myself.
    Yet, again, an early morning for me tomorrow.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?