Tuesday, June 14, 2005

 

Today's...

...exercise session was late and long. You can read about it at the link. It was satisfying, though, although her systolic pushed itself up tonight, which I reported on over at the Tests & Meds site. I can't help but wonder if her high systolic was an indication of her annoyance that, once again, I'm not letting up on her.
    Over the last few days much of our conversation has centered around how good it is for her to be increasing her movement. She isn't completely convinced, bless her sedentary heart. She is, though, anxious to believe me, so I think her cooperation will continue through the warm months, at least.
    This evening while we were preparing her for bed she expressed, once again, her disgust for the walker. I decided to level with her. "Mom," I said, "I'll tell you, I doubt that you'll be getting around without it, now. Maybe you'll get to the place where walking without it is not dangerous for you, but I'd be really surprised."
    "Well, I plan to surprise you, then."
    "I hope you do, Mom. But in the meantime consider the miracle of this simple little machine. For all my smarts, it never would have occurred to me that putting a light weight frontal stand on smooth, sensitive wheels would allow people so much stability. It's like the invention of the paper clip. It's such a simple little idea, but so practical and so productive! As far as I'm concerned, I'm just thrilled that someone thought of it. It's so much more practical and allows so much more accessibilty to the world than a cane."
    "Well," she conceded, "when you put it that way, maybe it's not so bad. I still hate it, though."
    "I think what you hate is your need for mechanical help. And, look on the bright side. As long as you hate it, you may very well surprise me, someday!"
    "Oh, I intend to!"
    That's my mom! Gotta love her!
    Oh, as a note to myself, I took her blood glucose about a half hour after I'd administered her dose of Cholest-Off. Her blood sugar was in normal range, so that wasn't a factor in her slightly higher than normal blood glucose this morning.
    So, to bed. Busy day tomorrow.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?