Friday, July 22, 2005

 

Mom started into bed...

...at 2300 this evening. I didn't have a problem keeping her up. One of the cable channels was showing Mrs. Doubtfire, one of her favorite movies and one I love watching with her because it tickles her so.
    Ah. It's 2330 and her light just went off (she reads in bed every night for awhile). Although I normally count down her 12 hours night sleep from when she turns off her light, tomorrow, I think, I'll try getting her up at 1100 anyway. Sort of edge her toward a somewhat shorter night. We'll see how far I can get with that.
    Her exercise session went well this evening, much better than her walkering earlier today. She protested both but did them anyway. Her knee bothered her some this afternoon after the walkering session. I need to pick up a new elastic knee brace for her tomorrow. This one's becoming ragged and slack.
    Although I mentioned at the exercise session write up that I've come up with a couple of ideas to help improve her walkering style so her back doesn't hurt I'm also considering that she might be better off with a cane. As she was sitting on the edge of her bed and we were indulging in our usual bedtime chat I mentioned that, although I know she isn't interested in using either a walker or a cane, the reality is that when she is out she'll have to be using one or the other for the rest of her life.
    "I think that time is coming," she agreed.
    "I think it's already here," I said, gently.
    "I suppose you're right." I just love her wiggle responses!
    I asked her what her preference would be.
    I wasn't surprised when she said, "A cane".
    I tend to agree that she'd probably "work" better, walking, with a cane. We talked about different styles. Of reminded her of the aluminum cane we saw an Ancient Woman using in a parking lot about a year ago with a clawed bottom. To my surprise, she remembered it. That might work for her.
    There is, of course, the problem of her oxygen. With a cane either we'd have to see if there is a back pack that would work for her, considering her lack of strength, or I'd have to be right there with her, oxygen slung over my shoulder. As well, she can't sit on a cane when she's tired. But I cart the wheelchair everywhere we go when she's with me and there's no reason why I couldn'd also cart the walker. Yet another aspect is that, normally, the more she moves the more her aerobic ability improves. A couple of times last fall here in Prescott we headed out on errand trips and forgot the oxygen. She didn't have a problem. So we'll see how it goes. On Monday I'll drop by our oxygen supplier, put the question to them and see what they have to offer. Since both her wheelchair and her walker are gifts from friends whose elder people died, we have not yet used her Medicare allowance of either a wheelchair, a walker or a cane. It would be nice, I think, to have all three.
    Well, it's been a good day, although sticky. The monsoon has been officially declared and the thunderheads form and dissipate, yet we're not getting much rain up here; an occasional attempt at a shower but that's all. For me it's frustrating. The humidity is seductive and I'm rain ready. I even caught Mom saying today, "I wish it would just rain and get it over with!"
    This weekend I'm hoping to be able to settle back and catch up on some of the essays over at the essay site that have been waiting for a finish. That would be nice. We'll see.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?