Sunday, July 24, 2005

 

These are, indeed, I believe, the dog days of caregiving.

    I have no argument with what I wrote last night. And, today, the furosemide and lisinopril I gave her last night seem to have done the trick. Mom's gotten over a quart of liquid since she arose (late, I let her sleep in since I wanted to make sure the furosemide worked well before I started loading her up with fluid, again, and, besides, that medicine really takes the stuffing out of her). She's in napping, now. I took her BP before she laid down and, of course, it's showing that she's more dehydrated than usual. Her energy level is low. Her feet, which looked fine this morning, appear to be a little pudgy, now. She didn't have it in her to do exercises or even a little walkering practice, I could tell, but she protested the idea, as well, more vociferously than usual, so I knew better than to push her.
    It's a no-win-no-lose situation. Pull the fluid off her and she's dehydrates too fast. Replace fluids as fast as possible and she remains dehydrated yet her feet start swelling, probably because she's not moving much, today. But, she's not into moving much today. God could not get her to move.
    So, I'll be mentioning the fluid retention problem despite her continual dehydration to the doctor on Tuesday. I was thinking, today, maybe she'll be taking furosemide more often, now. Moving seems to help, some, but I can't always get her to move. Elevating her feet actually doesn't help much at all and she doesn't like having her feet elevated, anyway. Maybe we should be using the support socks more. We'll try that, of course.
    We've passed another landmark and I didn't notice.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?