Thursday, August 25, 2005

 

She still isn't moving much, but we're both very relaxed.

    That's what counts. Although the weather channel predicts that today is supposed to be "sunny and warm" I can feel the humidity in the air and the sun is blocked by grey clouds so, who knows. If it dries I'll consider having her do some exercises or, we've got to go to the grocery, not Costco (although we'll probably do that this weekend), maybe she'll be interested in tripping out with me.
    I let her sleep her fill yesterday. I awakened her at 1030 and she asked me to "leave" her "alone". I did. Still, she awoke at 1230, which isn't out of her schedule. She went to bed very late, almost at 0100 this morning. When she settled into her blue sun/moon printed sheets, the sheets MPS and her daughter picked out "special" for her because they are perfect for both day (sun) and night (moon) sleep, she asked, again, that I let her sleep "as long as I want" this morning. I agreed.
    We had a very interesting evening, though. I don't know why I've never done this before but, last night, at the end of yet another day long web page rampage (this time I redesigned and redirected the 2000 Histories), it occurred to me that she might want to see our site on the computer. I placed the iBook on her table and began navigating through the sites, stopping here and there to explain what she was seeing. The print was too small for her to read so she insisted I read her selections that had interesting titles:    After we'd spent a good hour and a half introducing her to my web effort on our behalf, discussing certain posts, talking about the necessity of me being detailed and absolutely honest about everything I think to post in these journals and on the compendium sites, she sat back in her chair.
    "Well, I'm amazed," she said. "So this is what you're doing when you're on that computer. I had no idea."
    "Yep," I replied, "lately, that's about all I do on the computer."
    She sat for a minute. "You know," she continued, "what you're doing, this is terrific. It's very important."
    "I'm glad you think that," I said. "I think it's important, too, even if it's not being read much."
    "It will be," she assured me.
    "You know, Mom, it's not just me who's 'doing it'. I couldn't do this without you. You are who makes these journals important. They revolve around our life together. Do you mind that I'm so detailed and upfront?"
    She fixed me with a serious stare. "Not at all. I doubt that anyone else is doing it to this extent. I feel good that you're doing this. Someone need to be doing it and I'm pleased that I'm a part of it."
    Although I've talked about the journals before, teased her when we have a strange or bad patch that it'll end up on the web for millions of people to access, I guess she never understood the extent to which I meant it. When I showed her the journals last night I didn't expect her to be upset by them but I also didn't expect that she'd be as pleased as she is about what I'm doing with our life, nor did it occur to me that she would take pride in her part in this and consider the effort "important".
    You just never know, do you?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?