Tuesday, August 30, 2005

 

To be faxed to PCP's office tomorrow...

...along with her blood glucose and blood pressure readings since 7/26/05:

To:  PCP
From:  Me
Re:  My mom - SS# - Review of Health since 7/26/05

Blood Pressure:
She had a bout of high blood pressure during the monsoons. You’ll notice on her BP chart that I gave her three 2.5 mg lisinopril several days in a row and, in two cases, a fourth lisinopril. She’s doing fine, now, but I thought I’d mention it because we’ll probably run out before we’re “supposed to” according to the pharmacy. I already talked to them and they are very understanding. They will fax you for approval of the refill if it happens to fall before it’s due date.

Blood Sugar:
Very good control.

Urinary Issues:
Prodigious incontinence continues, we deal with it; the Macrodantin has stopped her UTIs and she seems to tolerate it very well.

Hydration:
Remains a challenge but we deal with it.

Energy Level:
Slowing down incrementally; sleeps on average 14 hrs/day; hard to get her moving but I try.

Skin & Circulation:
Both appear to be excellent.

Appetite & Diet:
Both remain excellent. High in vegetables and meat, medium in dairy, low in refined carbohydrates; yoghurt and pure cranberry juice every day (to prevent UTIs); since Angela mentioned that you would prefer to see her A1c a bit higher, I’ve added more fruit and refined carbohydrates, but not a lot.

Dementia:
Remains unchanged; limited to short term/long term memory loss; excellent awareness of immediate surroundings.

Will & Spirit:
Remain strong and high, respectively.

Medicatoin & Supplements:
I have on a few occasions given her a 500 mg acetaminophen tablet for mild back pain after heavy days of walkering. I’ve also added a daily rounded tsp of Benefiber to her diet. See “Bowel Movements” below.

CHF:
Occasional abdominal/feet swellling and dry hack; usually disappears overnight; when it doesn’t I administer 20-40 mg furosemide in 1-2 doses and that takes care of it; this happened during the monsoon and went along with the high blood pressure. I finally figured out that the excess humidity affects her breathing, thus her body works hard even on oxygen (I put her on continuous flow during the day at these times) and she tends to retain water during these times. We’re over this now, though.

COPD:
Remains a non-smoker (Yay!). On oxygen (usually 2/lpm when seated or sleeping; 3/lpm when moving) during sleep and about 50% of time when awake; lately, as the days have become drier, there are times during the day when she doesn’t need oxygen when sitting.

Bowel Movements:
Constipation/diarrhea remain rare and traceable to fluid or food intake; eliminates every 24-72 hrs; usually every 48 hrs. Earlier in this period she had a little trouble with elimination so I added Benefiber to diet, finally regulating it to one rounded tsp in the morning with her orange juice. This has taken care of the problem.

    You'll note that there is very little change from the last review of my mother's health. I figure, if it hasn't changed, don't change it. The doctor will only scan it, anyway, and pick up what he consider's important.
    It seems that today has been yet another of my mother's sleep days, her choice. I attempted to awaken her at 1645 before the news. She wasn't interested. I'm not sure she even came to. I think she may have refused the invitation in her sleep. So, I figured, let sleeping mom's lie; until 1840, anyway, when she awoke on her own.
    Will someone please tell me, where, in The Land of the Ancient, are we now?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?