Tuesday, September 27, 2005

 

It is with extreme pleasure that I announce...

...the posting of yesterday's CBC results for Mom. She's looking very good on paper. No wonder she's recently had a surge in energy and her independence of spirit.
    In case you're wondering why these test results have the ability to either exhilarate or trouble me, I remain never quite sure whether I'm doing the right thing by her, especially when I protect her from most doctors' ever itching hands. These tests results, even when they're not as good as today's, are the continuing validation I need.
    I don't suppose I will ever be absolutely sure I'm "doing the right thing" by her. It's the nature of the current medical climate in this country to not only encourage but go to extreme lengths to "help" clients and advocates feel as though one's health and the health of one's charges is never in one's own hands and can never be so. Even the current "preventative" atmosphere encourages complete reliance on the medical-industrial complex rather than reliance on one's own sense of one's health and what one can or wants to do about it while using medicine as a resource rather than as a tyrant. It's impossible at this time to trust one's own sense of one's health unless one completely divorces oneself from this country's medical-industrial complex (usually done in disgust). In many cases, certainly in my mother's case, divorce isn't possible. However, the medical-industrial complex has not yet been able to erase all possibilities for self-validation of one's choices. Hurrah for this. May the situation only improve.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?