Sunday, September 4, 2005

 

Taking Finals

    Last night as I was plowing through yet another box looking for my second grade school picture I ran across the witnessed form from ScienceCare Anatomical, the organization through which my mother has decided to donate her body to science. We finalized the form 9/8/04 but I not only forgot to send it in, I thought I had. It will, of course, be put in the mail this week.
    As I was reviewing the form and filling in the particulars for the death certificate I realized that not having sent it was a stroke of Providence. Had I sent it immediately after witnessing last year, her registration would have circularily gone through three revisions, ultimately settling back where we started with the PCP who originally witnessed the form. Thank the gods for my memory lapse.
    As I finished the death certificate information section, with each completed blank I thought Yes, this will be her final doctor, her final home, her final wishes for the final disposition of her body... I experienced a peculiar sense of settlement and satisfaction as I realized that, from now on, very few of the circumstances surrounding of my mother's life will change.    All this finalization makes circumstances as her Final Caregiver much easier to negotiate, not to mention much easier on my nerves. My mother's spirit remains the spirit of an adventurer and I'm sure she will continue to propose moving here and there, getting rid of this property, securing others, but I am also sure, since I am in charge of her life now and simplification much enhances my ability to manage and handle her life, besides which she is much slowed from previous years, these adventures will manifest as mutually entertaining flights of fancy.
    The final tally tells me that Mom is satisfied, I'm satisfied and our conjoined life from here on out, while still subject to occasional Continuing Education pop quizzes, most of which will require more negotiation from me than my mother, will remain securely in The Realm of the Settled. It is with great relief that I feel I can now pronounce us settlers.
    Finally.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?