Tuesday, October 11, 2005

 

I guess what I've got is a slow cold.

    I've been fighting congestion for a couple of days but it always seems to disappear in the evening, although I've been extraordinarily tired late in the day, usually dozing on the couch between Mom's lunch and dinner. This morning I awoke because I could barely breathe. I'm dosing myself with Mucinex and ibuprofen and using way more Kleenexes than I typically use in a week. My energy level is extremely low this morning; lower than last night and it was really low last night. I'd consider this unfortunate, because MPS and MPNC are on their way up for an impromptu two night visit, but I don't even have the energy to care whether or not I'm easy to get along with. We are out of Supplies for Company. We don't even have enough bread, I don't think. When I picked up their message yesterday of their impending trip and called MPS I told her I'm not going to prepare for the visit. She's fine with this.

    Mom worked herself into a snit over the No Toilet Paper in Her Bathroom issue late last night. It continued throughout the night. She insisted that "company" wouldn't know not to use her bathroom or that they'd forget. I insisted this was not the case. Everyone who visits regularly knows better than to use Mom's bathroom for a couple of reasons, the No Toilet Paper Issue being of the highest regard. She awoke me several times in the night getting up, trotting into her bathroom, peeing, searching for toilet paper, then hauling her Kleenex box into her bathroom. I'd wait for her to resecure herself in bed then I'd get up and take out the Kleenex box. Two times she hadn't yet settled in bed when I cleared out her bathroom and we had short, angry exchanges about the lack of any paper in her bathroom.
    This is probably one of the touchiest, most difficult issues I face with her: Insisting that her personal dignity stand down so that I don't have to unclog her toilet every day to every other day and she doesn't become prone, again, to UTIs. I think the reason she has so much trouble forgetting this and what I do on her behalf (cleaning her, making sure her toilet doesn't stop up) is that this is truly an issue she doesn't want to remember.
    I have no idea what we'll do with our company over the next few days. I know we'll have to go to Costco and a couple other groceries. I've been letting our stocks dwindle so there is more room in the freezer for half eaten loaves of home made bread. However, we've almost polished off the last of the bread. We need more salad stuff. I think we've got plenty of meat, although MPNC is vegetarian so we're pretty much out of what she eats.
    As time nears for their arrival I am in no better spirits than I was when I arose at 0845. Mom, of course, will be in high spirits. This should be a very interesting visit.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?