Monday, October 3, 2005

 

No, nothings wrong...

...everything is amazingly fine. I've been spending most of my "free" time working on the index. I'm only about 10 months away from the present. I'm caught up in the story and can't seem to pull myself away so I've been sacrificing report time to indexing time.
    I caught up on stats this morning. Catching up reminded me of a few things I want to mention. Mom's been walkering regularly and vigorously for the past few days. On Friday I insisted on a practice session on our driveway. The session seemed to bode ill for redevelopment of her walkering skills. After two laps her calves hurt and her knees became "iffy". I gave her a 200 mg ibuprofen (which I rarely administer) and she went to bed, moving almost not at all for the rest of the day.
    On Saturday, though, when I mentioned that I needed to make a "short trip" to Costco to replenish our egg and orange juice supply, much to my surprise she invited herself along.
    "Everything I need is going to be at the back end of the warehouse, Mom," I told her. "If you decide you don't want to do that much walkering I'll set you up for people watching at the lunch area at the front of the store."
    "Well," she said, "that's an option. I think I'll be okay, though."
    She was! She wandered from kiosk to kiosk eating a sample lunch. Insisted on covering all three aisles of Christmas stock. Remained standing through check-out; she usually insists on heading between the registers to sit at the lunch area while I check out. She enjoyed herself immensely and didn't complain about tiredness or pain (I continually checked with her on the state of her legs and back) until we arrived home and she swung around to get out of the car. Then, all she had to report was "a little stiffness." Wasn't interested in any pain medication, although she promptly napped.
    When she awoke yesterday morning she was excited and animated about our impending dinner engagement. As is usual during her bathing process, I asked her, "How are your knees? How's your back?"
    She answered, with a surprised look, "Fine. Why shouldn't they be?"
    I laughed. "You know, Mom, your body has amazing recuperative powers. After months of little to no movement you're back on the road, again. You walkered all over Costco yesterday. I just thought you might be feeling it today."
    "Goodness no! I'm fine."
    Okay, then. Never mind.
    What ever slowed her down for so long has apparently evaporated. I think I'll keep this mother.
    We haven't lately done anything in the way of formal exercising, although each day for about a week while she's sitting in her rocker I've been guiding her through some minor flexibility movements, even less than what I described in the last =>Moving =>Mom entry. Maybe doing these loosened up her internal energy pathways, although truthfully, these sessions have been so slight that I didn't think they'd matter, thus I didn't bother to report them. Her general stiffness hasn't seemed to be alleviated by them. Her hours have remained as usual, about half or a bit more of the day spent in sleep. Since Friday, though, she's walkered every day, a prodigious amount for her on Saturday and Sunday and hasn't needed oxygen when sitting.
    I'm thrilled. After dinner last night while MPS's family was walking us to our car MPBIL mentioned something about walkering around the house.
    "The walker's not handy in the house," I replied, "so we're going to get her a cane."
    "That's right," Mom chimed in, with absolutely no protest.
    Wow.
    So, we're having an active fall, this year. I'll take it. So, apparently, will Mom.
    Expect that reporting here will remain occasional until I'm through the entire index inventory. We have a few more visits coming up this month, too, one within the next few days. As well, as long as the woman wants to get out, I'll be taking her with me where ever I go, which involves more time than when she stays home. I keep the stats at Mom's Daily Tests and Meds pretty much up to date and usually include a few words about our day so if you're curious you might check over there.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?