Monday, November 21, 2005

 

Blood Draw Test Results are up...

...for 11/18/05. Her hemoglobin is lower than I expected but still within her range. Although there aren't any tests for this period of time last year, her test for 9/02/04, while still in "the nines", is even lower than Friday's draw results, so I'm okay with her readings.
    I ran into a laboratory glitch this morning. It seems that they still have the old prescription from her old office and The Shiny New Doctor who dismissed us in their computer and faxed "the doctor" off that old prescription. I faxed her current (and constant) PCP this morning with the lab results, as they hadn't received a copy, and called the lab to change that information. They were swamped. "The front desk" didn't answer the phone so I was told to call back in the afternoon. Yet another medical administration disappointment. If you readers think you can get away with Medical Advocate-Lite status if you are managing the health of a loved one, think again. At this time, chaos reigns in in every corner of the medical-industrial complex.
    Which reminds me...a few days ago I ran across my posting about Steve Case's Revolution venture into medicine, including his desire to create a company of medical advocates. In that post I mentioned that I planned to comment on his commercialization of medical advocacy. I never did. This seems a good time to do it.
    Although I think commercial medical advocacy is an excellent idea, I worry that commericializing medical advocates for patients may devolve into medical advocates being curried by doctors to the point of actually advocating for the medical-industrial complex instead of patients. I have visions of a professional medical advocate for my mother, for instance, responding to me much the way MPBIL, who is a social worker as a patient liaison in the transplant field, did when I was in a quandry about whether to allow my mother to be colonoscopized: "It's standard, now. Everyone gets one just for history. Trust the doctors regarding her risk assessment." I was both surprised by and suspicious of his advice but, as you know, several months later I was finally beaten into agreeing to the colonoscopy. As it turned out, the gastro-enterologist who performed the procedure (and who I was supposed to trust regarding risk assessment) admitted that the procedure had been a bad idea and Mom should never again be scoped, she was too old and frail and the procedure had been "torture" for her.
    Obviously, medical advocates are going to need to be trained (hopefully highly trained). Commercializing medical advocacy will probably and inevitably mean that their training will be institutionalized through the medical-industrial establishment; including doctors, nurses, facilities, drug, insurance and equipment companies. I shudder to think what this could mean for their ability to advocate on behalf of their clients.
    In my ideal world medical advocates would be not only highly trained but highly aware of the constant, myriad blunders the medical-industrial complex stumbles through on behalf of patients and the reasons for such blunders. Although it would be important for some of their training to be directed by the medical-industrial establishment so they were thoroughly familiar with this section of medicine, another part would involve alternative training which would make them aware of such problems as:    As you know, I do a great deal of medical advocacy on my mother's behalf. I would, however, love to be able to access the services of a professional medical advocate. If I could, this is what I would want from and ask of such a professional:    Hmmm, I wonder if Steve Case would be interested in my opinion. I think I'll check his site to see if there's an email address to which I can send the above posting. I'll report back...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?