Thursday, November 17, 2005

 

I want desperately to stay up later than it is, now...

...I want, in fact, to drink a cup of coffee and stay up all night. Not a good idea, though, considering that when I awaken sometime tomorrow it will be because I'll hear Mom shuffling into the bathroom upon arising and I'll have to jump out of bed, shift into high gear, my transmission will shriek, I'll leave tread and I'll be in a fucking hell of a mood all day long.
    I miss up-nights that usher in the dawn. It's at the top of my Miss List.
    Mom had a better day...awoke an hour earlier and although her knees were bothering her and she took a decent ibuprofen inspired nap, she lost the minor fluid congestion she'd been gathering, felt altogether better, lusted after the book we're reading so we read lots in it, ate well, felt good and stayed up until almost midnight. Warmth makes a difference.
    The very first winter we spent here in 1997, although we didn't get much snow, once fall began aging into winter we had day after day of highs in the teens and twenties. Although I can't remember what the summer and early fall was like that year, I'm shuddering at the thought that we're going to have another winter like that. I hope not. True, if there's sun our house is cheery and distinctly not winter-like, regardless of the temperature outside, but I can't even imagine what it might be like to try to coax Mom out when the temperature can't even be coaxed above freezing.
    All day long I've been mentally filing stuff I want to mention here. Finally I'm here and all I can think about is, "Shit, it's almost 0130...if I don't get to bed I won't have any time to myself in the morning to settle into the day before Mom awakens."
    So, you know, to bed, to bed, to buy a fat pig, or whatever...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?