Tuesday, November 1, 2005

 

"We had an excellent day today!" Those were my last words to Mom tonight...

...as she retired.
    Her last words to me, delivered with her head tilted in her characteristic "I'm overjoyed" pose, were, "We certainly did! I thoroughly enjoyed it!"
    After days like today and images like the last she offered me before sleep crept between us, I have to say, it's hard to believe that one day this woman will be dead. I see why she has such a hard time believing in her mortality. I have a hard time believing in it!
    She so exuded vitality that her doctor did a double take when he entered the office, made to greet her first, as he always does, for which I am eternally grateful, it is she, after all, who is the patient, and spied her sitting on the edge of the examining table, swinging her short legs so they knocked against the side of her perch, channeling an 11 year old boy about to slip away from the adults and manifest the mischief on his mind. He was charmed like a bird off a tree. I'll bet he questioned her mortality, too, asking himself, "Is she even human? She's probably one of those immortal creatures in Cocoon who have never died!" Although in the movie one does die.
    I noticed today that her PCP is just coming into the lap in which he will hit his stride as a physician and a healer. He's much more comfortable with his patients, any tag-along advocates and himself with his patients. He has a very quirky, ingenuous, likable character, aside from his A.I. brain. I noticed he is running a "family practice", as well. I'm actually pleased about this. He is good enough and interested enough in doctoring that he might be one of those physicians who follows patients from various states of adulthood into Ancienthood.
    The upshot of our appointment is that he doesn't think it's necessary to see her for another five months. Perhaps she's hit an octagenarian plateau that we haven't known about because so few "normal" people have ever before antcipated one's late 80s or lived through them.
    I've designed a project as a result of one aspect of the appointment: her Blood Pressure. I'll be performing it shortly to inform myself about her blood pressure profile. I'll explain later.
    In fact I'll be further elaborating and explaining lots about yesterday later.
    Oh. Mustn't forget "Bowel's on the Run"; not in the usual sense.
    When I mentioned to her PCP that she seems to be hitting the blossoming I'd been expecting at the advent of summer he responded, "We'll take it any time we can get it."
    I am so curious, now, to find out how she will eventually die. I can't even imagine, anymore.
    No Rx for an oximeter. We forgot to discuss it. But, I'm not worried. She ran for about half the day without oxygen.
    I need to start the next round of drying and hit the sack. I have a car to fill and return in the morning. I'm not even going to edit this post for anything.
    More...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?