Sunday, November 13, 2005

 

You'll notice...

...under the Special Posts section at the main journal an addition, a link to Mom's Current Medication & Supplement Schedule. This link will be refreshed as significant changes occur to her medication and supplement schedule and will always take you to the most current schedule. Minor daily changes will continue to be covered in the daily posts at Mom's Daily Tests & Meds. I will not post a new schedule and refresh the link to the right unless a significant change takes place. For instance, I'm considering boosting her lisinopril dosage by 100% yet again, but I'm going to take a week or so of observation with her on 5 mg/twice per day to see if I may be jumping the gun. If I decide to take her up to 10 mg/twice per day I will redo the schedule, post it and refresh the link to the right.
    I noticed in today's New York Times Online that the lead story is about the mass confusion generated among those eligible for Medicare Part D. Although the article mentions that "only 35%" understand the plan and those that say they understand it are more likely to consider it "beneficial", from what I understand of the plan I'm thinking that those 35% probably understand the plan, which, actually, is fairly easy to understand, but still have problems with the idea of sorting through about "three dozen" possible institutions of the plan in order to determine which would be most beneficial for them. As well, the "extra help" section poses yet more problems and Social Security comes into play in that area, which can always be counted on to 1) create even more confusion, and 2) summarily deny coverage unless a citizen fights for it. The bottom line is, it isn't the plan that's confusing so much as the options. I consider myself extremely lucky that my mother's retired/veteraned military status makes it possible for me to ignore Medicare Part D for her or I surely would have been one of the millions of folks who are lining up for the Medicare Part D seminars everyone and their dog is offering and allowing myself to be even more confused.
    As well, although I have yet to receive my email edition of tomorrow's (November 14th's) NYT Online, I took a sneak peak and noticed the headline story is as follows: Big Drug Makers See Sales Decline With Their Image. The blurb for the story reads thus: "The major drug makers remain highly profitable, but at some, sales are stagnant and profits are falling, leading to layoffs and cuts in research budgets."
    Isn't it interesting that just as drug companies are beginning to sweat, along comes the federal government with Medicare Part D which should allow drug companies to recoup some of those losses by simple dint of consumers' confusion and inability to pick the plan most financially favorable to them.
    And we've got Bush and his (luckily declining) ilk for another three years! To all those who voted for Bush and his cronies, what the fuck were you thinking?!?!

    Although Mom's activity quotient has been low lately, we've had several very satisfying days. Today was yet another. I could not convince her to go to Costco with me, which was okay. While there, though, perusing the books, which I only occasionally buy anymore since I rarely have the time to read or the isolation I need to concentrate when I read, I noticed a book about which I'd recently read a review, written by one of my favorite "please, seduce me" authors, Anne Rice, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt. When I read the review I had a hunch Mom would love us reading this book aloud. I purchased it today and discovered I was right. She was immediately transported. I read aloud to her, checking at the beginning of each chapter to see if she wanted me to continue, for two and a half hours until my voice began to break and she began to hunger for dinner. I have to say, it's a fun and easy book to read aloud. It's much leaner than most of Rice's books. As well, it appears to be extremely well researched (which is typical of Rice's books) and uses a variety of sources. After we covered chapters 1-5 Mom asked if there was any information on her sources. I leafed through the book and discovered the rather long Author's Note at the end which explains, somewhat more lavishly than the text of the story (and more in line with her previous lushly written novels) her entire journey to and through creating this book. Interesting. While I was preparing dinner Mom scavenged the book and wondered aloud whether the author might be writing any more about Jesus. The review I linked to the title of the book seems to indicate that this is the beginning of a series.
    "Good reason to start reading in the evening, again," Mom said.
    I agree. Although, as you know, Mom's memory can be highly creative, interestingly, she stopped my reading aloud several times to reflect on what she knew of Joshua-bar-Joseph's life and times and what the book mentioned.
    I also picked up another book by chance that I know is going to be a Read Aloud Hit: Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals. Some years ago we read No Ordinary Time aloud and she (and I) so thoroughly enjoyed that book that, although she doesn't remember the title, she continues to think of it on occasion and refers to it as "that book about Roosevelt". I'm glad that Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt is as short as it is, as we are both lathering to begin Team of Rivals. Which reminds me, speaking of tomes that Mom might enjoy, in the mid-90's I discovered and read what was then an "old" book by Robert Hughes, The Fatal Shore, a meticulous, no holds barred, daunting history of how white Australia came into existence. It was a page turner from beginning to end. Maybe we'll take that one on after Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals.
    There are still many, many books I'd love to read silently on my own but reading aloud, especially tantalizing books in which both Mom and I have an interest, takes the edge off my missing of my own reading and allows me to incorporate some of it into my caregiving life. I'm glad we're doing this again.
    Just a couple of notes about the last few days: Friday and Saturday we watched a couple of movies that thrilled Mom, De-Lovely and The Last Emperor. The first we watched on Friday and Mom sang along to it. The second we watched in two parts, Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. It's one of my favorite "overwhelm me" movies. I know Mom has seen it before because I've rented it many times but she didn't remember any of her previous viewings. The copy we watched this time, though, is ours. I "sold back" some of our movies to get these two. I noticed during this viewing that Mom and I have only occasionally similar reasons for enjoying it. She pays little attention to the political implications and developments in the movie but loves the cultural detail. I remember, many years ago when we lived on Guam, Mom had a collection of Chinese music that she would occasionally play on our phonograph. It was not uncommon for her to play it while doing chores or fooling around with possible school projects at the kitchen table with us kids. Although I enjoyed the music, too, I remember wondering every time she played it about the extent of her fascination with Chinese culture; wondering, as well, if her interest had the same "destined" quality as her interest in Egyptology and Sioux-ology. I haven't yet thought to ask her outright but our recent viewing of this movie reminded me of my curiosity, especially since she noticed that there were differences between what she is used to seeing depicted as Chinese culture, especially in dress, and the distinctly Manchurian detail of much of the movie. MENTAL NOTE: Ask her. I will, of course, record her response here, once I remember to ask her.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?