Sunday, December 18, 2005

 

Touching Base

    I've got a few moments (which haven't been plentiful, lately). Following is a list of topics upon which I've been meaning to write, but I haven't had much time to get back here; over the next few days, I hope to complete those I don't get a chance to complete at this writing; check back for links to further material on those that are barely more than a title:
  1. I think I have a type of Seasonal Affective Disorder but it's different than the usual.
  2. Happier Holidays than Usual:  I've been doing much better at the holidays this year than in years past but not as good as I intended. Once I went to the shed and viewed the work involved in simply dragging a 75 lb box stuck in the back and surrounded by other boxes out and into the truck, not to mention finding all the boxes marked "X-mas" and hauling those out, as well, I decided, nah, I'm not into that this year, we'll use the small fiber optic tree; which, as of this writing, I haven't yet displayed. Maybe tonight.
  3. This Isn't Your Mother's Caregiving:  I overheard a conversation at Walmart about a week ago that's been haunting me since. The chattier of the two participants was the married-with-children sister of a woman who, according to the conversation, is taking care of her the two siblings' mother. The conversation involved the listener commenting to Ms. Chatty that, despite not knowing her, she admired Ms. Chatty's sister for "taking on" the care of their shared mother. Ms. Chatty responded, "I don't know if she deserves to be admired. She's not doing anything more than our mother ever did for us when she was raising us." This reminded me of something I read on a website set up by another caregiver who admonished ALL caregivers to consider themselves "heroes", with which I initially took issue and still do but with modifications since overhearing this particular conversation. I'll write on this later.
        Linked to essay on December 21, 2005.
    For those of you who haven't been keeping up with the minor detail of our lives over at Mom's Daily Tests & Meds, in brief:    I'll try to check in a bit more often than I've been doing, lately.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?