Sunday, December 25, 2005

 

Yep, it's Christmas.

    Mom's still sleeping. I'll give her until 1130 or so; that'll be 12 hours. I'm feeling good. We had a congenial, laid back Christmas Eve: Mom and I watched Miracle on 34th Street (the old one) while I baked, then Mom concentrated on a variety of TV Christmas specials while I continued baking. We've already watched It's A Wonderful Life for the season. This year we watched it on a TV channel. Neither of us mentioned that today is Christmas and we're not traveling or seeing family and friends but neither of us denied it, either. I think we're both well satisfied with this holiday.
    Yes, we'll be having a Christmas dinner featuring, yet again, Mom's beloved HoneyBaked Ham, heated in the oven with pineapple slices. Accompaniments: Nuked yams; either asparagus with Hollandaise sauce or a side salad, depending on what Mom's taste is when I get around to preparing dinner; I'll also offer Mom some of MCS's bread & butter pickles, which I'm sure she'll have. Dessert: Probably the pumpkin pie I baked last night. I'm hoping we'll also have home made bread; the bread machine malfunctioned last night and I had to throw out the unmixed, unbaked contents of what was to be a loaf. I'm going to try again as soon as I finish posting here. The older that machine gets, the more finicky it becomes. Sounds familiar...
    Other than being victimized by a fast, furious cold which took hold sometime before I awoke yesterday morning and kept my throat sore and my nose running all day yesterday, I'm feeling very good. The sore throat is gone today; the nose is running overtime. I'm sure this isn't the flu. I'm hoping that Mom's immune system is up to handling my unavoidable spreading of the cold all over our house. She's in very good health, though, so even if she contracts it I think she'll be fine. Although this one doesn't seem to be tiring me, if Mom gets it I'm sure she'll consider it an excellent excuse to sleep, and I'll allow her this.
    Apropos a suggestion by a reader that Mom and I try a spa day: I had wondered out loud (meaning here) at the time if I could handle a trip down to the Valley and back for such an event, even though the event itself sounds promising. Mom would love it and I wouldn't mind it. As chance would have it, while I was doing car-based errands last week and peripherally listening to the radio I discovered that there is a commercial spa facility up here that offers spa-day packages, so I'll be looking into that. I'm very pleased to have discovered this.
    I've pretty much got my network up, tweaked and running the way I want so that I can transfer files from platform to platform. Time for me to finish off the TOC cataloguing and create the index. Don't expect instantaneous performance, though. January is also tax preparation month and my vow is to get everything into Mom's Tax Man no later than the first week in February.
    Today seems to be a decidedly unmusing day. Maybe...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?